Although oatmeal is certainly one of the most healthy foods for you, there are many companies that offer processed, less nutritious forms of oatmeal. Because of my family’s desire to eat real, wholesome foods I had to figure out how to make healthy homemade oatmeal. This apple cinnamon oatmeal recipe is easy to do and only takes about 10-15 minutes to make.
(This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of my links, I’ll receive a commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you so much! Read our full disclaimer here.)
Once I figure out this recipe, I’ve been cooking it ever since! Oatmeal is a great way to start your day. It contains 4 grams of fiber & 6 grams of protein per cooked cup. It’s filling and there are many different flavors you can create. Plus, you can get a big container for less than $5.
A few things to keep in mind about this recipe:
- Maple syrup could be replaced with a pinch of stevia extract
- Walnuts can be replaced with pecans.
- Cinnamon can be replaced with pumpkin spice.
- Although 2 cups water per one cup oats is recommended, always check the back of your oat’s container for that company’s recommendation.
- If you have extra chopped nuts or apples, sprinkle on the end result for tastier oatmeal.